11/20/2014 4:05:39 PM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
Page:  / 5
Author
My Avatar is Staring at You.
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/4/2010 5:56:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2010 6:01:36 PM EST by kar98k]

I'm not real fond of the East German NVA blankets. The West German BUND blankets are superior.

Out of the ones on your link I'd try the heavier and longer Czech blankets or the Italian, which are a bit wider. Both are listed as 2 pounds heavier than the East German... hopefully there's a good reason.

If some catastrophic event happens and most of humanity is wiped from the face of the earth, the only people left to hang out with will be you guys! Oh the horror! -- Boombastic

No situation is ever so bad that the government can't make it worse.
hk45shooter
This space For Sale
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/4/2010 7:54:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By SIPCAT-C:
Originally Posted By ISED8U:
Thanks Kar. You make a strong argument. I decided to order a few of the 100% German blankets to have on hand. You guys always cost me money.

Best I've come across. Where did you find them in stock?

http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?products_id=2374

Marked Bundes-Eigentum, nice & heavy, big enough for a queen size bed.
Jack Kevorkian for White House Physician.

You can get further with kind words and a gun then kind words alone.
sksAL
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/4/2010 9:45:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2010 9:54:31 PM EST by sksAL]
i like moving pads. my van always has 1 in it, frickin heat trap. they wash up on the driveway with a pressure washer, or just hang it over a fence and spray with a hose if dirty. so heavy one will break a washing machine. not very expensive as ive never really paid for them. mabey $10 each at a moving supply. every home should have a few. google newhaven moving supply, they start @ $166 a dozen.
SIPCAT-C
Son of Appalachia
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2010 8:05:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By hk45shooter:
Thanks Kar. You make a strong argument. I decided to order a few of the 100% German blankets to have on hand. You guys always cost me money.

http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?products_id=2374

Marked Bundes-Eigentum, nice & heavy, big enough for a queen size bed.

Danke
Sons of Appalachia, Go Where Glory Waits You!
MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
MALT0SE
Welcome to Bicep Mountain
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2010 2:12:04 PM EST
can you wash them in a washing machine?
Nice catch Nino Blanco

Infidel-icous!
HomeSlice
But what would be the answer to the answer man?
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2010 6:53:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By MALT0SE:
can you wash them in a washing machine?

We did. Just a little bit of soap, and cold water. Hang to dry. Got rid of the mothball smell.
Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
SIPCAT-C
Son of Appalachia
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2010 7:05:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By kar98k:

I'm not real fond of the East German NVA blankets. The West German BUND blankets are superior.

Out of the ones on your link I'd try the heavier and longer Czech blankets or the Italian, which are a bit wider. Both are listed as 2 pounds heavier than the East German... hopefully there's a good reason.

The W. German (German) is far superior to the E. German (NVA) blanket. Not even in the same ballpark. The NVA blankets aren't terrible but the Bundeswehr blanket is incredible.
MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
SIPCAT-C
Son of Appalachia
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2010 7:07:25 PM EST

The link posted above, though they may not be the German blankets everyone here holds in such high regards. They're labeled German and 100% wool. They do seem lighter than some of the other blankets. I'm anxious to get them, but have nothing else to compare them to since they're my first wool blankets.
http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/blankets.html

Those are E. German, not bad but you are right, not the one "held in such high regards."
You can get the E. German ones here, too
MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
quick1911
Trust, but verify.
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2010 7:18:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By SIPCAT-C

The W. German (German) is far superior to the E. German (NVA) blanket. Not even in the same ballpark. The NVA blankets aren't terrible but the Bundeswehr blanket is incredible.

Is this the best surplus wool blanket?

"As government expands, liberty contracts." ~ Ronald Reagan
Ranman223
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2010 7:46:10 PM EST
I bought several of the British wool blankets several years ago .

A very nice Cream color . More natural ? Decent size and not to itchy .

I let them soak in cold water w lots of fabric softener then air dry .

Last year I used one as a comforter
SIPCAT-C
Son of Appalachia
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2010 8:49:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By quick1911:

I got mine last year from Sportsman's Guide when they had them at $24.99.
Those are the best I have in my collection (lol, yes I have a military wool blanket collection).
I hear that the Swedish officer's blanket is just as good, if not better.

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
SIPCAT-C
Son of Appalachia
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2010 8:49:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ranman223:
I bought several of the British wool blankets several years ago .

A very nice Cream color . More natural ? Decent size and not to itchy .

I let them soak in cold water w lots of fabric softener then air dry .

Last year I used one as a comforter

I'm interested in one of those as well. The white/cream colored one?
MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
uncool
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2010 5:17:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By quick1911:

They are great.....I have several of them but in a bigger size......have one on my bed all year......They are Great.......the sweedis officer ones are a little better . Both are great blankets.....way better than USGI
ISED8U
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2010 9:27:10 AM EST
Well I picked up a few W. German blankets too. I suppose I will have to keep the E German and W German blankets separated by a huge concrete wall.
NRA lifetime member
SIPCAT-C
Son of Appalachia
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2010 12:28:17 PM EST
Well I picked up a few W. German blankets too. I suppose I will have to keep the E German and W German blankets separated by a huge concrete wall.

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
tayous1
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2010 3:58:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By sksAL:
i like moving pads. my van always has 1 in it, frickin heat trap. they wash up on the driveway with a pressure washer, or just hang it over a fence and spray with a hose if dirty. so heavy one will break a washing machine. not very expensive as ive never really paid for them. mabey $10 each at a moving supply. every home should have a few. google newhaven moving supply, they start @ $166 a dozen.

Can you tell use more? have you yourself used one on a cold night? This is not flame or me trying to be a smarta$$!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." --Mark
SIPCAT-C
Son of Appalachia
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2010 10:38:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By kar98k:

The Czech blanket I got from Sportsman's Guide last year is on par quality-wise with the bundeswehr blanket, it is just not as wide. It fully covers a single mattress but not a queen sized mattress like the Bundeswehr.
MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
zigathig
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2010 11:59:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/7/2010 12:30:38 PM EST by zigathig]
Attenzione;
Swiss-Link Italian Wool Army Blanket @ Sierra trading. NOT the premium from couple years ago,just army.
color: brown/cream stripe #3039F-01 ... back ordered for another week but let me put in an order for one.
$20.96 after an email coupon with no shipping for me,I've got one of their cards.
Think a decent deal,I'll know when/if it shows up.73x65 %100wool Italy
Anybody have one of these?
Actually looks like Italian @ turkeyfoot link.So eh,ok deal.

ISED8U
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 2:17:40 PM EST
I got my 4 E. German blankets in today (marked NVA). I think I get it now. These are really good blankets. I machine washed them on "hand wash" in cold water with dye and odor free detergent and added a little bit of fabric softener to help out the moth ball odor/been in storage odor. I've hung them up inside to dry. The machine wash did frey the blankets just a little. They are nice heavy blankets and I can imagine 1000 places I could use them.

Now I can't wait to get my W. German blankets in. Those will probably end up on our beds this winter.
NRA lifetime member
SIPCAT-C
Son of Appalachia
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 3:24:07 PM EST
I got my 4 E. German blankets in today (marked NVA). I think I get it now. These are really good blankets. I machine washed them on "hand wash" in cold water with dye and odor free detergent and added a little bit of fabric softener to help out the moth ball odor/been in storage odor. I've hung them up inside to dry. The machine wash did frey the blankets just a little. They are nice heavy blankets and I can imagine 1000 places I could use them.

Now I can't wait to get my W. German blankets in. Those will probably end up on our beds this winter.

Good work. Did all of your E. German blankets have the same markings? I've seen a few with clear "NVA" markings and a few with the correct black bands, but no actual NVA marking.
"The National Rifle Association has been in support of workable, enforceable gun control legislation since its very inception in 1871." —NRA Executive Vice President Franklin L. Orth NRA's American Rifleman Magazine, March 1968, P. 22
ISED8U
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 3:34:56 PM EST

Good work. Did all of your E. German blankets have the same markings? I've seen a few with clear "NVA" markings and a few with the correct black bands, but no actual NVA marking.

Yessir all marked the same. Small black stripe on one end and a large black stripe through the middle marked NVA. I'm quite pleased.

I plan on hanging them over the fence for a day or two to air out when the weather permits. Even after a washing they still have a little moth ball odor to them. I don't mind it so much but the wife's giving me the evil eye.
NRA lifetime member
VectorTX
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 7:40:56 PM EST

And be alert, because a certain percentage of the yarns of the E German blanket tend to migrate over, under or through the wall to get to the W German one.

This then decreases the efficiency of the remaining yarns in the E German blanket. Next thing you know, that one is threadbare and not very warm anymore.
VectorTX
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 7:49:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By tayous1:
Originally Posted By sksAL:

Can you tell use more? have you yourself used one on a cold night? This is not flame or me trying to be a smarta$$!

I've only used moving blankets for moving, but it appears to me they are probably filled with bulk cotton stuffing.

In another time and place, I slept in a very cold unheated room (mid-upper thirties) with only a bed cover filled with raw cotton. It was a bit heavy, but not too thick, and somewhat similar to a moving blanket.

I was afraid I was going to freeze - instead I was absolutely warm and comfy the entire night.

I woke up very impressed with that cover.
SIPCAT-C
Son of Appalachia
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2010 8:00:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By VectorTX:

And be alert, because a certain percentage of the yarns of the E German blanket tend to migrate over, under or through the wall to get to the W German one.

This then decreases the efficiency of the remaining yarns in the E German blanket. Next thing you know, that one is threadbare and not very warm anymore.

"The National Rifle Association has been in support of workable, enforceable gun control legislation since its very inception in 1871." —NRA Executive Vice President Franklin L. Orth NRA's American Rifleman Magazine, March 1968, P. 22
GLHX2112
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2010 5:51:12 AM EST
It's been a few years, but, I need to check the Sundance catalog, and see if they are still selling Swiss blankets for $398 each.

USAF SP (Ret)
Page:  / 5
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED