Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 6/3/2011 1:56:18 PM
[Last Edit: 6/3/2011 1:56:45 PM by section8ight]
I saw the book list which is staggering to say the least, so thought I'd ask for recommendations for something more specific. I really enjoy modern survival fiction with a 'realistic' twist (e.g. not interested in Zombie / SciFi stuff).

My favorites so far (and what I'm trying to find more of):
- One Second After
- Lights Out
- Patriots
- The Road

Anything along these lines you guys recommend I check out? I'm dying for a new book!

Thanks,
Mike BD]
jjc155
NRA Life Member, Oathkeeper
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/3/2011 2:39:22 PM
Originally Posted By section8ight:
I saw the book list which is staggering to say the least, so thought I'd ask for recommendations for something more specific. I really enjoy modern survival fiction with a 'realistic' twist (e.g. not interested in Zombie / SciFi stuff).

My favorites so far (and what I'm trying to find more of):
- One Second After
- Lights Out
- Patriots
- The Road

Anything along these lines you guys recommend I check out? I'm dying for a new book!

Thanks,
Mike BD]

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank

J-
" I swear by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." John Galt.
NRA Life Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/3/2011 3:07:05 PM

Originally Posted By jjc155:

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank

J-

This, if you keep in mind the era in which it was written (1950s). The concepts still apply but some of the technology is WAY out of date.
If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. -- James Madison
section8ight
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/3/2011 5:37:35 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely check it out - Anything else that takes place in recent years I should pick up as well?
Tonto_Ohio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/4/2011 9:59:36 AM
Tom Sherry's Books Deep Winter and 2nd book called Shatter - the third, called Remnant, I just couldn't get into.

I sure hope no one say's Rawles "Patriots", it's nothing but a guns and gear wet dream.
Variable556
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/5/2011 5:07:13 AM
Originally Posted By Tonto_Ohio:
Tom Sherry's Books Deep Winter and 2nd book called Shatter - the third, called Remnant, I just couldn't get into.

I sure hope no one say's Rawles "Patriots", it's nothing but a guns and gear wet dream.

Patriots!!! I liked it... I didn't care for "One Second After" all that much. It kinda bored the crap out of me. "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Mathew Bracken left me wanting to kill the main character myself. His incessant whining was pure torture! Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. The "Jakarta Pandemic" wasn't too bad.

In what way will this augment my ability to "render inoperative armed opponents" and break things...? (Gotta stay PC for work... don'tchya'know....)
FourDeuce
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/6/2011 11:40:12 AM
[Last Edit: 6/6/2011 11:41:46 AM by FourDeuce]
I'm a big fan of Aftermath, the online story by a guy named Al Steiner. It's got a lot of gratuitous sex scenes in it(but he wrote it for a sex story website, so that makes sense), but even if you skip all the sex scenes, I think it's a well-written story, and the guy shows a good example of a defense-in-depth.
You have to register at the site, but you can download the whole book one chapter at a time and read it on your own computer.
The story is at http://storiesonline.net/sex-story/34601

I just noticed you didn't mention Lucifer's Hammer, by Niven and Pournelle. I've always considered that one of the best paperbacks available.
DaGoose
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/6/2011 10:09:39 PM
You might also try Wolf and Iron. Might be hard to find as I think it's been OOP for a few years.
stevem1a
American
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/6/2011 10:31:30 PM
Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

A comet hits the Earth, almost everyone dies, civilization falls. Set in the late 1970s.

Steve
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality, but in reality, there is.
Forest
6.8 > 6.5
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2011 6:35:09 PM
Originally Posted By FourDeuce:
I'm a big fan of Aftermath, the online story by a guy named Al Steiner. It's got a lot of gratuitous sex scenes in it(but he wrote it for a sex story website, so that makes sense), but even if you skip all the sex scenes, I think it's a well-written story, and the guy shows a good example of a defense-in-depth.
You have to register at the site, but you can download the whole book one chapter at a time and read it on your own computer.
The story is at http://storiesonline.net/sex-story/34601

I just noticed you didn't mention Lucifer's Hammer, by Niven and Pournelle. I've always considered that one of the best paperbacks available.

I always thought of Lucifer's Hammer to be the inspiration for Aftermath. Though I think Aftermath's inclusion of the long rainy period to be more realistics.

Funny that Niven dindn't include the rain so much in the 'Hammer but he did in Footfall
'98 Jeep XJ Owner

"Free thinking is great.. that's how the Assault wheelbarrow with silenced .22 rifle was born..." Harv24
FourDeuce
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2011 12:44:43 PM
I figured Lucifer's Hammer had some influence on Aftermath, too. I've thought for years Lucifer's Hammer would be a good "hub" idea for people in different parts of the country to write their story around. Each person could write their story about what survivors in that part of the country experienced. Aftermath could be one of many connected stories.
Forest
6.8 > 6.5
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2011 12:54:00 PM
Originally Posted By FourDeuce:
I figured Lucifer's Hammer had some influence on Aftermath, too. I've thought for years Lucifer's Hammer would be a good "hub" idea for people in different parts of the country to write their story around. Each person could write their story about what survivors in that part of the country experienced. Aftermath could be one of many connected stories.

That would work well, the same could be said of David's Lights Out scenario as well.
'98 Jeep XJ Owner

"Free thinking is great.. that's how the Assault wheelbarrow with silenced .22 rifle was born..." Harv24
tc556guy
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/12/2011 6:51:39 AM
[Last Edit: 6/12/2011 7:16:19 AM by tc556guy]
I'm always amazed at the number of times the same 4 or 5 internet-originated books get mentioned in these threads.

edit:

If you're looking for those home-written SHTF -type stories, start here:

http://www.shtfinfo.com/shtffiles/books_and_reading

If you're looking for the commercially produced stuff, I posted a list of my collection in the thread I think you were referring to.
*post contains personal opinion only and should not be considered information released in an official capacity*
Anglowulf
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/24/2011 7:39:36 PM
Self-written, Texas reality-based SHTF fiction. Couple of run-on sentences I am still editing.

Big Ugly
Anglowulf
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/24/2011 8:15:51 PM
Lights out got me started in the genre, that guy is great.

Most of the books I have seen setup a main character, typically a retired nam vet as the hub of the story.
Barking out orders to civvies and setting up everything in military jargon makes for a convenient setup.
(I know they do this as a teaching aid more than anything)

In sudden SHTF, most people aren't going to have a group leader of this status. They will be at work when it happens, or even out
of town. The wife may be stranded on a highway full of parked cars, the kids in a school bus and sick relatives in nursing homes
with no power.

If SHTF comes on slowly, you may lose your job and suffer a gradual decline as a sick family member requires all your time.

Some guys with $3000 ar15's at the ready may find themselves too weak to hold it as the BG's contaminated the water supply to their subdivision.
Underground economies should surface, even children would command a higher price with the sickos.

Our enemies may not be heavy bearded guys with robes, but college kids with Engineering degrees and a taste for explosives.
Our enemies may be our neighbors.

When you use the term "reality" it can paint a pretty grim picture even for the most prepared.

Regards.

larryparamedic
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/25/2011 5:00:44 PM
Originally Posted By Variable556:
Originally Posted By Tonto_Ohio:

Patriots!!! I liked it... I didn't care for "One Second After" all that much. It kinda bored the crap out of me. "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Mathew Bracken left me wanting to kill the main character myself. His incessant whining was pure torture! Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. The "Jakarta Pandemic" wasn't too bad.

I thought Patriot was a complete piece of crap. Poorly written to say the least, and completely stupid if nothing else.
OK so we gun down a half dozen guys in their sleep, and then kneel to pray? WTF! Total crap. I literally had to force myself to read it.

All Bleeding Stops...Eventually
------------------------------------
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
"If you wish for peace, prepare for war"
------------------------------------
SEMPER PARATUS
"Always Ready"
NRA Life Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/25/2011 6:43:23 PM

Originally Posted By larryparamedic:

I thought Patriot was a complete piece of crap. Poorly written to say the least, and completely stupid if nothing else.
OK so we gun down a half dozen guys in their sleep, and then kneel to pray? WTF! Total crap. I literally had to force myself to read it.

I just finished reading it a second time - I couldn't get all the way through on the first try. It's not as bad as I recall, though for my taste there's a bit too much focus on the Bible-type stuff. It also feels like a poorly disguised endorsement for the exact gear I'd expect Rawles to have.

And the "James Wesley, Rawles" nonsense is just that.
If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. -- James Madison
showpare
Leaders Of Survival, Evasion, & Reconnoitering
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/25/2011 8:30:37 PM
[Last Edit: 12/28/2011 7:29:03 AM by showpare]
I got Black Monday / R. Scott Reiss audio book from the Liberry. It’s pretty good.

“An epidemiologist in search of an antidote to a microbe that infected the worlds oil supply watches in horror as food becomes scarce, neighbor attacks neighbor, and governments collapse “

Plus, I'll vouch for Alas, Babylon & Lucifer’s Hammer

I’m looking into Aftermath right now. I want to get right to skipping some sex scenes.

"...I feel safer with a rifle."
Race Bannon
Hawkeye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/25/2011 8:59:39 PM
[Last Edit: 6/25/2011 8:59:54 PM by Hawkeye]
Cold Camp by TimJ. Its probably tied with Lights Out on my list.
Protego quod vallo.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Mounger
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/26/2011 9:53:19 PM
I read Big Ugly!

I really enjoyed it! I could not put it down.

I really hope you write more and make it available here.

Thanks Anglowulf!
sharkman6
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2011 12:18:27 AM
I wrote a story called Flip of the coin. Its posted here on ar.com I'd say it is more political\military than survival though.
Forest
6.8 > 6.5
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2011 1:40:27 PM
Originally Posted By 6530:
. It's not as bad as I recall, though for my taste there's a bit too much focus on the Bible-type stuff.

Yeah I noticed through the iterations it kept getting more prominent. I wonder if that had to do with some religious fervor he was having at the time or if it was a response to a large portion of his readership?

It also feels like a poorly disguised endorsement for the exact gear I'd expect Rawles to have.

Well the book was written as a 'How-To' manual so I'd expect him to suggest and talk about gear he has used and likes. I'd also note in his screenplay version he changes both the camo pattern and .308 rifle to ones that are currently more common than the items originally in the story.

I guess enough people mentioned that H&K's were rare & pricey and hard to come by, and DPM was not longer a bargain.
'98 Jeep XJ Owner

Anglowulf
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/15/2011 12:36:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Big Ugly was my first. Starting another one now with much fewer mistakes.

It' called "GRIM". First 12,000 words or so...

Regards,

Anglowulf

GRIM
Castle-Man
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/17/2011 12:55:01 AM
http://carryondamaris.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-one.html

Good, realistic, survial story. She has all of her other stories linked here, too. Mostly from a woman's POV, but still entertaining to me. There is one zombie-themed story, but I still enjoyed it.
thecreeper23
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/26/2011 12:48:57 PM
Originally Posted By Anglowulf:
Thanks for the feedback, Big Ugly was my first. Starting another one now with much fewer mistakes.

Regards,

Anglowulf

GRIM

Good stuff; keep it coming.
diggerwolf
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/26/2011 4:28:12 PM
Originally Posted By Anglowulf:

Regards,

Anglowulf

GRIM

Reading "The Big Ugly" now. Awesome so far.
"All of you are white. Go to Hell!" - Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2