Site Notices
7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
Page:  / 5
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/3/2013 8:11:36 AM
Well except for me of course, who is stuck with the stupid Match Targets.

Easy now, nothing wrong with the Match Target

At least that's a "real" Colt.
DanTSX
Blueblooded Yankee Carpetbagger :I
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/3/2013 9:30:49 AM
Originally Posted By Rick_A:

This might be as well. The spotters were held in similar regard in the 90's IIRC.

Grant on ToS states that the BCG matches 6920 bolts.
Max Hardcore is not a crime!
Augee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/3/2013 10:18:20 AM
Originally Posted By DanTSX:

This might be as well. The spotters were held in similar regard in the 90's IIRC.

And Scott Ryan is skeptical. Who to believe?

Mr. Timberlake feels that the "staking" and "engraving marks" are the "tell."

I feel that none of the other "tells" that should be there are anywhere near that rifle. Barrel marking style - engraved, not rolled receiver markings, lack of "C" markings, ect.

I don't have one in my hand, and it doesn't sound like he does, either.

I could be wrong - but my gut says not to be optimistic. It would have been nice to have a budget "base" rifle using standard parts that I could re-barrel, like I've done with old Sporters and Match Targets.

Sporters were held in the same regard for the same reasons in the 90's - non-standard parts - large pivot pins, sear blocks, plastic buffers, FP retaining pin destroying unshrowded firing pins, ect.

I would agree with you that the LE6920 is the budget "baseline" model.

~Augee
DanTSX
Blueblooded Yankee Carpetbagger :I
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/3/2013 11:06:11 AM
Originally Posted By Augee:
Originally Posted By DanTSX:

And Scott Ryan is skeptical. Who to believe?

Mr. Timberlake feels that the "staking" and "engraving marks" are the "tell."

I feel that none of the other "tells" that should be there are anywhere near that rifle. Barrel marking style - engraved, not rolled receiver markings, lack of "C" markings, ect.

I don't have one in my hand, and it doesn't sound like he does, either.

I could be wrong - but my gut says not to be optimistic. It would have been nice to have a budget "base" rifle using standard parts that I could re-barrel, like I've done with old Sporters and Match Targets.

Sporters were held in the same regard for the same reasons in the 90's - non-standard parts - large pivot pins, sear blocks, plastic buffers, FP retaining pin destroying unshrowded firing pins, ect.

I would agree with you that the LE6920 is the budget "baseline" model.

~Augee

To tell you the truth, I usually just go with whatever you say or Scott Ryan says.
Max Hardcore is not a crime!
jagdkommando
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/3/2013 2:17:56 PM
[Last Edit: 3/3/2013 2:21:12 PM by jagdkommando]
[

The roll-mark above the selector.

As far as I know, Colt doesn't do marking variances for their rifles. Even the Colt Competition rifles have the BI roll- mark.

Colt has sold guns with a marking variance this year, they have had them in their booth at SHOT the last two years.
coctailer
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/3/2013 2:49:48 PM
[Last Edit: 3/3/2013 2:52:40 PM by coctailer]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:

Colt has sold guns with a marking variance this year, they have had them in their booth at SHOT the last two years.

Which models?

Was it Colt MFG or Colt Defense that did the variance?
Run with scissors!!!!
Alpha-Romeo3
AR-15 owner since 1971
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/7/2013 3:06:32 PM
There are unconfirmed reports that the LE6900 are actually built for Colt by Anderson Manufacturing (KY).

I looked at AM's site and it is similar to what they're making, the barrels, tubular handguards and they even sell the Damage Industries mil-spec 6 position M4 with QD sling mounts.

YMMV

AR3
dfariswheel
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/7/2013 8:50:48 PM
Sounds rather like the Colt Single Action Army and the Colt Cowboy.
The Cowboy was an attempt to offer shooters a single action Colt at a price lower enough to compete with the Uberti and Ruger offerings.
If you wanted the higher quality gun you bought the Single Action Army, and at a significantly higher price.

Can't fault them for that, and whether Colt actually assembled it or not, like the Colt black powder revolvers of the 1980's, they're stamped "Colt" and will letter as Colt.
Quake_Guy
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/12/2013 1:30:02 AM
free float tube with an M4 barrel, boggle

should have just gone with a government barrel sans M4 cut or just a medium profile the whole way
faldoc
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:17:28 PM
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Sounds rather like the Colt Single Action Army and the Colt Cowboy.
The Cowboy was an attempt to offer shooters a single action Colt at a price lower enough to compete with the Uberti and Ruger offerings.
If you wanted the higher quality gun you bought the Single Action Army, and at a significantly higher price.

Can't fault them for that, and whether Colt actually assembled it or not, like the Colt black powder revolvers of the 1980's, they're stamped "Colt" and will letter as Colt.

This is nothing new. Colt had licensed versions of their 44 Walker pistol made in other countries back in the 1800s. This is in their DNA. It's where the market is.They can probably sell 10 of these for every Colt made in Hartford at $100 more. People have commodiitized AR15s and Colt feels it in their bottom line because of all the cheaper variants out there. Cost is king, people are hurting, cheap is good even if quality isn't what they would like. You can bet that there is no MP inspection, shot peening, multiple step parkerizing and certainly much less documentation of the manufacturing processes than you will see in a Mil-spec product. What do average Joes need with all that unnecessary stuff? If ammo is $1 a round, they won't be shooting them much anyway. This is "decontenting" in progress before our very eyes.
What's in the future for Colt? I wouldn't be surprised to see Colt dump Hartford manufacturing facilities, and see them pop up in North Carolina or Alabama. Same reason you don't see many cars made in Michigan anymore. Cost cutting and Colt will be synonymous. What next? Colt China? Colt Vietnam? LOL.
Col_Colt
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2013 7:01:55 PM
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 7:02:39 PM by Col_Colt]
The Colt Cowboy was NOT simply about price. They had to produce a gun with an internal safety to sell it to the general public - the old SAA will shoot you if you drop it on the hammer, fully loaded. But they were tired of all the Italian knock offs taking a share of the market they created.

Put yourself in Colt's shoes. They have watched other makers made cheaper (and frequently worse) copies of the Single Action Army, the 1911 and the AR-15 - and steal significant market share, frequently with an inferior copy. All markets that they created, too.

Now it is the "Year of the AR-15". For years, when they had the Security of Government Contracts, they didn't have to think about the consumer market. Now they are looking at ways to get business from ALL of the different spectrums of people that buy them. Bushmasters and DPMS have long sold as an 800 Dollar price point - and they were cheaper, not beter. Now Colt wants those Customers, too. Because they become repeat customers for more expenisve guns in the future!

Colt wants in at the lower price point - and it only makes sense.

I doubt if these guns will be bad guns - for Joe Sixpack. And if you have more money - they will sell cheerfully sell you a 6940 for a bit more.

It's just good business. CC
Frens
God didn't make all men equal, Sam Colt did.
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/21/2013 9:07:41 PM
[Last Edit: 3/22/2013 4:16:27 AM by Frens]
just a rumor from the web:

The rifle is built, and possibly designed by Anderson Mftg for Colt.

ETA: oops missed the A-R3 post above
*** Damn Proud to Be an American Ally ***

---> Boycott Italian Gun Makers <---
echelon137
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2013 1:23:04 AM
Originally Posted By Alpha-Romeo3:
There are unconfirmed reports that the LE6900 are actually built for Colt by Anderson Manufacturing (KY).

I looked at AM's site and it is similar to what they're making, the barrels, tubular handguards and they even sell the Damage Industries mil-spec 6 position M4 with QD sling mounts.

I have Anderson Mfg. uppers, lowers, and BCGs sitting on the table in front of me right now, and the only markings that match are the Cerro Forge "keyhole" marks on the uppers/lowers. There are no other marks present on the "Colt" parts pictured that match. The only variation in markings present is 1 of the 4 Anderson Mfg uppers I have (newest, purchase post panic) has a Square forge mark, rather than the Cerro Forge Keyhole.

I wouldn't think they would take the time to add additional markings to the production process... unless they are just the assembler, and get shipped finished parts?

On the other hand though... Someone within Anderson Mfg. has told me they do OEM parts work for some of the larger brands, but wouldn't name names... I just assumed it was small parts work.
Alpha-Romeo3
AR-15 owner since 1971
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2013 4:31:31 PM
Originally Posted By echelon137:
Originally Posted By Alpha-Romeo3:

I have Anderson Mfg. uppers, lowers, and BCGs sitting on the table in front of me right now, and the only markings that match are the Cerro Forge "keyhole" marks on the uppers/lowers. There are no other marks present on the "Colt" parts pictured that match. The only variation in markings present is 1 of the 4 Anderson Mfg uppers I have (newest, purchase post panic) has a Square forge mark, rather than the Cerro Forge Keyhole.

I wouldn't think they would take the time to add additional markings to the production process... unless they are just the assembler, and get shipped finished parts?

On the other hand though... Someone within Anderson Mfg. has told me they do OEM parts work for some of the larger brands, but wouldn't name names... I just assumed it was small parts work.

Anderson Mfg. and Colt won't have any common factory markings, as you said they only have the Cerro keyhole forge codes that are common and even these don't indicate who machined the parts, they're just the forge marking of the company that did the raw forging billet that are unmachinned.

The similarities that I noticed are the 4140 steel alloy barrel material used, 1/8 rifling twist, M4 profile, free floating tube handguard (except Colt doesn't have any vent holes, probably their own specified feature to have a lower cost component).

The only other unkown feature that we don't know about is does the Colt Light Carbine barrel, upper and lower have the Anderson's RF85 finish treatment that doesn't need any lube (it reduced friction up to 85 percent).

I also had unconfirmed communications from an Anderson worker that stated the same info that you have, that they do complete rifle assemblies and supplies parts for larger known brands but he won't specifically state who these companies are.

YMMV

AR3
Alembic
KISS IT
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 11:00:32 AM
Range Report?
_DR
Tax Slave
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 11:35:59 AM
Originally Posted By Postal0311:
I wish consumers wouldn't demand a product like this.

This consumer won't demand it.

No dustcover, no Forward assist, no buy!
"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
bergunx
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/25/2013 1:37:17 AM
I guess there is a market for a stripped down AR/M4 carbine, but I'm not feeling this Colt model.

For the Colt AR collector, this is a must to have since I don't see this model being around but for a few years.
retiredpara
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/25/2013 2:04:30 AM
I almost bought one of these locally for $850.00
I like the 1:8 rather than the 1:7 rate of the 6920.
Balance was exceptional and it fit the hand very well, unlike Magpul handguards.
I agree, the M4 profile was odd, a light profile would be better.
Lack of FA and dustcover killed it for me though. I will not buy an AR rifle without these.
Nice little rifle though. I hope they sell a ton of 'em.
cgreen
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/27/2013 8:05:30 PM
I looked at one for a couple of seconds today at Hunters Haven in Tupelo MS. It's $1200 if anyone is interested. I don't care for the non forward assist upper. They also had a M400 Magpul Sig for $969 and a Bushmaster OCR flat top with M4 barrel no front sights with forward assist for $919. It was really good to see someone with new guns under$1000 for a change.
Col_Colt
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/28/2013 1:17:26 PM
You may not want a "stripper' model - but they do sell to those who just can't afford the top shelf stuff. Detroit has always had a "plain white pickup truck" without power windows, just an AM radio and black wall tires, for the guy that just wants transportation and doesn't need the bells and whistles. Colt is no longer content to ceed the bottom tier to other makers - since people frequently upgrade to a better gun when their finances improve. And if they are happy with their first puchase, they will buy more from you.

I would submit that being shot with the "Lightweight Rifle" would not feel signifcantly differnt than being shot with a 6940. CC
kylestyle
spreader of hope and change
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 1:09:29 AM
To me it definitely cheapens the name. Not only based on looks but by the inconsistencies in all markings (if it indeed ended up being made in house).
coctailer
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 2:00:08 AM
Originally Posted By kylestyle:
To me it definitely cheapens the name. Not only based on looks but by the inconsistencies in all markings (if it indeed ended up being made in house).

Nothing on that rifle is made at Colt.
Run with scissors!!!!
wetidlerjr
Flamma fumo est proxima.
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 4:18:07 AM
Originally Posted By Alembic:
Range Report?

You won't get one from the posters here as none of them own this rifle.

Bill Tidler Jr.
Good men must not obey the laws too well.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.
~H L Mencken
Wakko
Friend of Ours
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 9:23:10 AM
I really don't see the problem here. Sure, it's not up to Colt's usual quality, so of course some folks will be misled, but a complete AR with free float tube for $800 isn't a bad deal at all in my book. I'd have no problem buying and shooting this sucker, especially as a hunting rifle. I do like dust covers, but I never use my FA. I had one of those cheapie DPMS ARs a while back and never had a problem with it.
GunshineStateShooters.com
Palm Beach County, FL
989ci
AZdsrt
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 1:45:49 PM
Originally Posted By Wakko:
I really don't see the problem here. Sure, it's not up to Colt's usual quality, so of course some folks will be misled, but a complete AR with free float tube for $800 isn't a bad deal at all in my book. I'd have no problem buying and shooting this sucker, especially as a hunting rifle. I do like dust covers, but I never use my FA. I had one of those cheapie DPMS ARs a while back and never had a problem with it.

I agree. I handled one at the range the other day while I was working. Not a bad rifle. And what does the FA and dust cover really get you? I could live without them.. I've never used the FA on my 6920, and am too lazy to close the dust cover.
Page:  / 5
Industry » Colt