Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 1/20/2010 3:17:45 PM
Has anyone done one of these since 12/1/09? Apparently spec's have changed and instead of threading the buffer the fcg well is solid. The building process now involves drilling and milling out that well in addition to the previous norm of drilling the necessery holes in the receiver blank.

Is this more difficult that the previous versions? Any comments or problems anyone has encountered? I'd like to try one, advice or suggestions?

Thanks.
RDTCU
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2010 3:22:59 PM
[Last Edit: 1/20/2010 3:24:26 PM by RDTCU]
Buy your 80%'s from Tactical Machining, i've done a few of them.
Much easier than before (less jigging / steps), but there is more milling to do.
Before the requirements changed, i used AR15PLUS.com, but now they've caught up with times and are selling compliant lowers.
They're just twice as much for more work and lower quality, in my opinion...

Mill the FCG pocket, and rear lug pocket
Mill the trigger slot
Drill the TWO holes (trigger/hammer)

and you're done!

They're pretty nice too...
crcrichton
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2010 4:00:47 PM
They are wonderful!!!! Just placed my order.
RDTCU
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2010 4:03:27 PM
[Last Edit: 1/20/2010 4:05:17 PM by RDTCU]
Sweet!

Have fun, (and take your sweet time...)

Do you have an AR Lower print? Comes in handy...
If not, got here and download from the "Blueprints" section: CNC GUNS
crcrichton
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2010 10:08:25 PM
Do they need to be anodized after we've finished the build?
RDTCU
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2010 10:22:16 PM
I've never taken one to be anodized, but you could. I usually soda-blast, acetone and Duracoat. Works just fine on the blasted surface, including inside the pin holes. If you want to have it anodized you'll have to be there or have a firearms anodizer do it (once you complete it, it's a firearm and must be transferred as such, unless you're actually there)... Some people have had luck with the home-anodizing kits, but i've never played with one...
crcrichton
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2010 10:13:31 AM
Silly me, it's in the web site, they're anodized at the factory. Need to read all the stuff before I post.
RDTCU
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2010 10:41:12 AM
Originally Posted By crcrichton:
Silly me, it's in the web site, they're anodized at the factory. Need to read all the stuff before I post.

Well not sure what you mean, finished or 80%...

Finished, stripped lowers are factory anodized.
80% lowers are bare aluminum when you get them...
PraesulPresul1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2010 1:47:48 PM

Anodizing is surface treatment so your milling would remove it in those areas so the above poster is right.
crcrichton
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2010 6:45:07 PM
I ordered the tools, bits and mill and they've come in, downloaded the blueprint and printed out a blownup copy, I've got a couple of cans of wd-40 for cutting fluid. And, have gone through the tutorial on cnc guns website. I'm ready!!

Thank you all for your advice, I''ll update this as I go along...
fdv99
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2010 10:16:03 PM
Does anyone know when tactical machining will have more 80% lowers in? I emailed them about it but haven't heard back yet.
TXGUNNER308
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2010 10:36:16 PM
educate me...what is the benefit of this? seems like a lot of work for something i can buy 100% complete.
Initial Success or Total Failure!
There are very few personal problems that can't be solved by a simple application of high explosives!!
RDTCU
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2010 11:22:04 PM
I ordered the tools, bits and mill and they've come in, downloaded the blueprint and printed out a blownup copy, I've got a couple of cans of wd-40 for cutting fluid. And, have gone through the tutorial on cnc guns website. I'm ready!!

Thank you all for your advice, I''ll update this as I go along...

I'd trade the WD40 for some cutting/tapping fluid or some cheap gear oil.... WD40 doesn't make the best cutting fluid, it's too light and vaporizes quickly.

TXGUNNER,
It's the idea of completing something yourself for some, and the lack of paperwork for others... If i'm going to try something crazy with a design, which i do a lot of, i don't want to ruin a registered firearm to do it. (Such as the bufferless pistols or the .45 lower i built for $80, instead of $300 for a factory .45 lower...)
RDTCU
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2010 11:22:34 PM
Originally Posted By fdv99:
Does anyone know when tactical machining will have more 80% lowers in? I emailed them about it but haven't heard back yet.

Call them, they've always answered for me and that's how i ordered my lowers...
shrikefan
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2010 12:05:45 AM
IIRC kerosene works good on aluminum.
Proud Member of Ranstad's Militia...The Fantastic Bastards

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. Circa 11/08 :(
slappomatt
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2010 12:39:39 AM
one reason to do it and the reason I will be getting one in the near future is to get around asinine laws. In Ca you can only buy handguns on approved lists. there are no AR pistols on these lists so if you want one you have to jump through alot of loopholes to get a pistol registered lower. The easiest to do BY FAR is to build an 80% lower yourself.
My strongest opinions are on things I know very little about. so take it all with a grain of salt! :)
gr8jrny
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2010 12:21:47 PM
Just wondering what mill people use, I have heard not to get from Harbor Freight, and that Grizzly is good, but what model say from Grizzly is best for this job. I don't intend to use it for things other than firearms and that size or scope? Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Stay in the Fight !!!!!
RDTCU
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2010 1:58:45 PM
Originally Posted By gr8jrny:
Just wondering what mill people use, I have heard not to get from Harbor Freight, and that Grizzly is good, but what model say from Grizzly is best for this job. I don't intend to use it for things other than firearms and that size or scope? Any recommendations will be appreciated.

I've got a full-sized Bridgeport mill, but i've heard good things about the Grizzly.... If you're using the smaller mills, i would recommend the 80% jig from Tactical Machining as well, just to simplify the jigging...
SR712
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2010 2:26:45 PM
[Last Edit: 1/24/2010 2:27:06 PM by SR712]
Harbor Freight and Grizzley are the same machine, made by Seig (China). Whichever you can get the best price + shipping (these are heavy). HF was free shipping when I bought mine. CNC Gunsmithing has a forum all about machining lowers, etc.
gr8jrny
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2010 3:03:33 PM
Thanks for the tips on mills
Stay in the Fight !!!!!
crcrichton
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2010 4:09:25 PM
Thank you for the heads up on cutting fluid, I'll be looking into that.

Good question concerning 'why go to all the trouble for something I can buy.'

I can only speak for myself and two of my friends. We just finished building 3 ak's from Romanian parts kits. We bought the receivers but learned alot about furniture refinishing, riviting, knocking out stubborn barrel pins, blueing and pressing/installing barrels.

When we finished the builds we looked at each othe and said that was fun lets not stop now. So this 80% ar receiver is our next project. We're doing it for a sense of accomplishment, as a hobby and for the pride of doing something not many other people have done. We're definitly not saving money.

Just my two cents, thank you everyone for your remarks.
dangerdan
What!?
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/16/2010 4:53:27 AM
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Much easier than before (less jigging / steps), but there is more milling to do.
Before the requirements changed, i used AR15PLUS.com, but now they've caught up with times and are selling compliant lowers.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/images/372_247_80-lower.jpg

Mill the trigger slot

and you're done!

You need to drill for the buffer tube retainer pin also.
Uncle
Sam's
Misguieded
Children
RDTCU
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/16/2010 7:38:39 AM
Originally Posted By dangerdan:
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/images/372_247_80-lower.jpg

Mill the trigger slot

and you're done!

You need to drill for the buffer tube retainer pin also.

Not on the ones i ordered....
and from their website:
"The operations left to be completed are as follows: fire control group, trigger pin, hammer pin, trigger slot."
dangerdan
What!?
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/16/2010 8:45:33 AM
Sweet. I'm hoping to do this when I get home. I hope they have some .308 80% er's in stock soon.
Uncle
Sam's
Misguieded
Children
GLADIO
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/16/2010 9:34:25 AM
I've read somewhere on the ARFCOM that some alphabet agency loves to wander through the customer database of 80% lowers sellers..
st33ve0
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/16/2010 9:43:45 AM
What jig are you guys using for your milling?
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2