Author
Posted: 2/2/2013 8:01:07 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
My MAK90 does not have a detent on the front sight. I have measured the diameter and it is 14.1 mm and I should be able to thread it, but there is not detent, can I still put a flash hider on this or am I out of luck?
a308garand
NRA Life Member
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2013 8:18:51 PM
[Last Edit: 2/2/2013 8:20:39 PM by a308garand]
The detent hole was probably welded over to cover it up. Measure where it needs to be and drill. You will break into the detent channel. Knock out the front sight pin closest to the muzzle, insert new detent and spring. Capture detent by inserting front sight pin. All done. Remember to thread the barrel :)
"Your times is over! You are gonna die bloody; all you can do is pick where!"
~Sheriff to Butch and Sundance
noonagon
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2013 9:13:42 PM
Originally Posted By a308garand:
The detent hole was probably welded over to cover it up. Measure where it needs to be and drill. You will break into the detent channel. Knock out the front sight pin closest to the muzzle, insert new detent and spring. Capture detent by inserting front sight pin. All done. Remember to thread the barrel :)

eek, drilling seems drastic lol, but it is an AK. So if i have 14mm of OD on the barrel I am good to go for threading correct?

Thanks for the help, happen to have a diagram with that measurement on it :) Just if you have it handy, i will search for it. Thanks again
Paintballer
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/3/2013 9:54:06 AM
This picture should give you an idea of what is needed.

This front sight is off of my AMD65 but it is the same idea.
Gunplumber
Master Gunsmith
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/3/2013 12:18:50 PM
the metal is very hard. I use a 3/32" carbide end mill to cut (rather than "drill") the hole. Orientation is critical as it is easy to break through at the top.
T. Mark Graham
Master Gunsmith
Arizona Response Systems
ex_dsmr
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/15/2013 10:36:00 AM
You can always use a crush washer as well from what ive read.
halmbarte
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/14/2013 11:36:25 AM
Originally Posted By noonagon:
My MAK90 does not have a detent on the front sight.

Whatcha want to bet there was no front detent because that FSB was modeled on the one that goes with the folding pigsticker bayonet?

Either drill your FSB or use a Euro FSB that has the same barrel diameter if you want a threaded muzzle.

H

N4KVE
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/12/2013 1:27:56 PM
Many factory military Chinese AK's used in China don't have a threaded barrel, or front site with a detent. Since they used the parts for their military rifles, they used them for MAK 90's too. Only Chinese AK's exported to other countries had a threaded barrel, & front site with the detent pin. Of course with the Chinese, there are exceptions to everything. I leave my Chinese MAK's unthreaded, as that's original. GARY