Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Army>>security>>EMS>>nursing
Posted: 7/30/2010 11:50:39 AM
I was conisdering getting some new bottom metal from CDI so I could use AICS mags, but the newer savage models have the bolt removal switch in front of the trigger guard instead of on the side of the receiver. Does anyone know how this will affect getting a base plate? Do they even still fit, or are you able to mount one at the expense of not being able to remove your bolt? Do newer bottom metal designs account for this? Any information would be appreciated.
"And in this moment I will not run. It is my place to stand. We few shall carry hope, within our bloody hands."
Cruxshadows, Winterborn

DDSS17
shepheard
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2010 10:22:42 PM
I hear Stockade makes a bottom metal for Savages. http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/. They don't show them on their web site but give them a call and talk to Kevin. He's a great guy to flap with, real knowledgable with the Savage rifles.
captainkoontz
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2010 11:31:46 PM
pretty sure bottom metal and stocks are not yet available for the accu-stock model savages.
fdkay
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2010 1:45:49 PM
Actually, the Choate Tactical stock is available inletted for factory DBM system.

There is NO difference in an accustock savage action and any other dbm, centerfeed savage action. The difference is the stock.
Just make sure you buy the correct hole spacing and have it inletted at CDI.
Luvman
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2010 6:08:28 PM
Ive got the CDi dbm on my 10fcp. I love it!
imortal
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2010 7:07:53 PM
[Last Edit: 7/31/2010 7:09:28 PM by imortal]
Originally Posted By fdkay:
Actually, the Choate Tactical stock is available inletted for factory DBM system.

There is NO difference in an accustock savage action and any other dbm, centerfeed savage action. The difference is the stock.
Just make sure you buy the correct hole spacing and have it inletted at CDI.

Okay, here is what I mean. Look at this pic of a Savage 10FP. See the lever in front of the bolt? That is the bolt removal lever. Please also note the presence of the AICS mag, and how the two are nowhere near each other.

Now, please note on this Savage 10PC, that the bolt removal lever in front of the bolt is completely missing. The bolt removal switch is now on the front of the trigger guard. Right where the magazine release would be for any plate using an AICS magazine.

I am not talking about stocks. I am sure that a stock will fit perfectly well. I am talking specifically about installing a base plate onto a rifle that has the newer, more irritating, bolt release on the front of the trigger guard.
"And in this moment I will not run. It is my place to stand. We few shall carry hope, within our bloody hands."
Cruxshadows, Winterborn

DDSS17
captainkoontz
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/1/2010 3:38:33 AM
the additional bolt for the wedge may be a problem also
benjio
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/1/2010 9:33:57 AM
One word: Sharp Shooter Supply. (well, three... )

They have a new product called the ACME Universal DBM Conversion. It's got an offset/reversible front bushing, so it works with the different bolt spacings offered by Savage. They say it'll work with any short action, both staggered and centerfeed. Also says it'll work with the new style bolt release lever location (accustock, right?)

Here's the link, k.

Cheers, Benji
imortal
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/1/2010 6:45:27 PM
Originally Posted By benjio:

They have a new product called the ACME Universal DBM Conversion. It's got an offset/reversible front bushing, so it works with the different bolt spacings offered by Savage. They say it'll work with any short action, both staggered and centerfeed. Also says it'll work with the new style bolt release lever location (accustock, right?)

Here's the link, k.

Cheers, Benji

Cool! May be worth a look.
Cruxshadows, Winterborn

DDSS17
MedicOC
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/1/2010 9:09:12 PM
[Last Edit: 8/1/2010 9:12:10 PM by MedicOC]
Originally Posted By imortal:

Here's the link, k.

Cheers, Benji

Cool! May be worth a look.

If you order from Sharp be sure to aks them that whatever you want is in stock and ready to ship. I made the mistake of ordering a magazine they stated would take 2 weeks to get. I got it 4 months later.

ETA: I was in the same place as yourself except I ordered the CDI system before I realized the 10pc had a different bolt release. No problem just built a 260 around the CDI intstead. The magazine I ordered from Sharp functions well and looks nice as well.
benjio
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/1/2010 10:14:42 PM
Yah, that's true about SSS; the wait can be a bit long...

I ordered a couple of the mags I don't know how many months ago. To be fair, the lady did tell me it would be 3 months minimum. But there aren't any other options, so I was ok with that.

I don't know what the wait time is for the new bottom metal. I was planning on calling for an update on my mags (since they charged my credit card over 3 months ago...), so I will ask about the new ACME system and post here what I hear, k.
MedicOC
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 2:32:42 PM
Yah, that's true about SSS; the wait can be a bit long...

I ordered a couple of the mags I don't know how many months ago. To be fair, the lady did tell me it would be 3 months minimum. But there aren't any other options, so I was ok with that.

I don't know what the wait time is for the new bottom metal. I was planning on calling for an update on my mags (since they charged my credit card over 3 months ago...), so I will ask about the new ACME system and post here what I hear, k.

The wait is not what bothered me. After a month of waiting I called and the lady said it would be another two weeks. Then two weeks later, she tells me that they just got the material in and should be making them next week. If she had told me when I ordered that it would be 16 weeks before I got the magazine, then I could have dealt with it. It was the lying to me that bothered me.

benjio
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 3:22:32 PM
ah, that makes sense. Guess I'll find out how truthful she is when I call this week, eh...
frankiebagadonuts
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 4:09:43 PM
I'm planning on this mod to my 10fp also. I think that I am going to go with the CDI since they are only about an hour from me.
MedicOC
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2010 10:00:01 PM
CDI did the inletting on my B&C stock. Great guy to deal with.
heavyduty
Throbbing Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 9:19:53 AM
Originally Posted By MedicOC:

What kind of inletting did he do? Converting a B&C staggerfeed SA to centerfeed (I hope)?
frankiebagadonuts
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 12:13:57 PM
Originally Posted By heavyduty:
Originally Posted By MedicOC:

What kind of inletting did he do? Converting a B&C staggerfeed SA to centerfeed (I hope)?

The CDI bottom metal allows you to convert a staggered-feed, blind magazine Savage to use AI detachable magazines. The stock has to be inlet to fit the bottom metal.
heavyduty
Throbbing Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2010 9:51:28 PM
Crap. I'd like to go the other way - convert a B&C stock for a staggerfeed SA for a newer centerfeed SA.
frankiebagadonuts
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 9:15:39 AM
[Last Edit: 8/5/2010 9:18:34 AM by frankiebagadonuts]
Crap. I'd like to go the other way - convert a B&C stock for a staggerfeed SA for a newer centerfeed SA.

Isn't the lug spacing (4.25" - 4.4") the only difference? Can you just drill a new hole? I've read that you can do this for using a center feed stock on a staggered feed rifle, but I don't know if it works the other way also.
heavyduty
Throbbing Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 9:36:55 AM
No, the mag well recess is different, too - the centerfeed mag mounts to the stock instead of the receiver.
MedicOC
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 6:55:09 PM
CDI inlet a b&c stock for his magazine system. My rifle was originaly a centerfeed.
MedicOC
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2010 6:57:11 PM

You are going to need a stock with the correct bolt spacing. Or drill as mentioned earlier....but I'm not sure how that would work out.
feelinlucky
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/19/2010 9:41:05 PM
how much did it cost for you to have jeff inlet your stocks